I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

When you obtain a green card based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, your resident status is valid for two years under the removal of conditions category. The conditional green card expires after two years. The conditional residency is like a probation period. During the two years, you and your spouse build a record of your married relationship together. Generally, to remove the condition you and your spouse must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence 90 days prior to your green card expiration date.

Additionally, you’ll need to include supporting documents as evidence of the bona fide marriage. Upon approval of the I-751 petition, the permanent resident will become lawful permanent residents with 10-year green card. Failure to file form I-751 before your green card expiration will results in loss of your resident status and authorities can remove you from United States. Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns about your case, we would be happy to help.