top of page

I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

When you obtain a green card through marriage to a US citizen, your resident status is valid for two years under the Removal of Conditions category. The conditional Green Card expires after two years. Conditional residency is like a trial period. During the two years, you and your spouse build a history of your marriage relationship together. Generally, to remove the condition, you and your spouse must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence 90 days before the expiration date of your Green Card. 

In addition, you will need to include documents that support proof of the bona fide marriage. Upon approval of the I-751 petition, permanent residents will become lawful permanent residents with a 10-year Green Card. If you do not file Form I-751 before your green card expires, you will lose your resident status and authorities may remove you from the United States. Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns about your case, we will be happy to help.

bottom of page